“It’s good to know what while fads come and fads go, bread remains the world’s favourite staple.”
This recipe of Pav Buns is specially for those who are currently in self-isolation as a result of the pandemic and can put their time to good use by developing a hobby and that’s – Baking!!
Baking in times of COVID-19 has been quiet therapeutic and stress buster for me as I throughly enjoy baking and the transformation of ingredients and their end result. Home made pav buns or as we call it laadi pav or dinner rolls is a perfect accompaniment to that yummy pav bhaaji or a vada pav or even dabeli.
Its super simple recipe to make with a handful of ingredients and the same recipe can be twisted and made in 4 -5 different forms.
Few pointers to keep in mind before baking bread
- Yeast – Do check out before whether your yeast is active or not before assembling the ingredients
- Hydration – Dough needs enough quantity of water, if water content is less your bread might turn out dry and hard
- Oven Temperature – Each oven works in a different manner, so adjust the temperature accordingly
How to Make PAV BUNS
Yield : 6 Buns
- Maida: 2 cups
- Yeast: 1 tsp
- Milk powder: 2 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Oil/melted butter: 3 tbsp
- Water/milk: 1+1/2 cup (slightly warmer than lukewarm)
- Combine Flour, Yeast, Salt and Milk powder in a bowl.
- Add little quantity of water and start kneading initially the dough will be sticky but as its kneaded it will form into a smooth dough.
- Finally add oil/butter and knead the dough for 10-15 minutes and keep it aside for the first rise/fermentation.
- Keep this dough in a big oil greased bowl for first proofing.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and wait for it to double in size (this might take approx 40-45 minutes)
- After first proofing, take out the dough on clean oil greased kitchen counter and gently punch it.
- Knead it for a minute and divide the dough to prepare buns. Keep greasing your palms with oil to roll these buns smoothly like a ball between your palms and keep them in a lightly oil greased baking tray, keeping some distance in between because they are going to puff up
- Keep it aside for the second proofing
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven at 200 degrees for ten minutes before second proofing ends.
- Brush up buns with milk and bake them at 200 degree for 15-20 minutes (both the coils on) till they are nicely brown on the top
- Remove the tray from the oven and immediately brush them with butter and ENJOY pillow soft buns with hot pipping Bhaaji or in form of Vada Pav!!
NOTE: You can shape the same bread in different shape as well – knot shape or round shape or they can be flavoured with pizza seasoning /dry herbs
Do share the photos of your finished product with us by tagging us on your social media handles.
If you would like to see other tutorials, check us out: